Pros & Cons of a Smile Makeover
Dr. Mark Sweeney, Austin Dental Spa’s devoted cosmetic dentist, has performed countless successful smile makeovers. Often considered the cosmetic counterpart of a full mouth rehabilitation, a smile makeover aims to correct a number of aesthetic dental concerns at once. Patients usually choose two or more cosmetic and/or restorative treatments to incorporate into their makeover. The result is typically a comprehensive enhancement of the overall mouth, often manifesting as a straighter, brighter smile.
That being said, is a smile makeover the right choice for everyone? This list of pros and cons can help you determine whether a smile makeover is the right treatment to meet your needs.
Smile Makeover Cons
- Length of time. Because a smile makeover incorporates more than one procedure into one treatment, the entire process can involve more than one visit. Additionally, certain procedures (e.g. dental implants) require weeks or months at a time to heal properly.
- Price. Due to the wide range of treatments that can be included, the final cost of a smile makeover often varies considerably. As such, patients should approach a smile makeover as an investment, especially considering the treatment’s tendency to produce long-lasting results (see below).
- Complications. Some of the procedures typically featured in a smile makeover involve surgery. Every surgery, whether dental or otherwise, comes with inherent risks, and including more than one surgery creates more opportunity for complications to arise. Rest assured, however, that Dr. Sweeney will weigh out your chances of complications during an initial consultation.
Smile Makeover Pros
- Comprehensiveness. After determining your oral care priorities with help from Dr. Sweeney, you can choose from several of our restorative and cosmetic dentistry procedures to include in your makeover. Common treatments include porcelain veneers, teeth whitening (with our innovative light-based Zoom!® Advanced Power™ system), gum reshaping, and CEREC® dental crowns.
- Longevity. As mentioned above, one of the primary functions of a smile makeover is to create results that last for many years. The effects of certain restorative procedures, such as dental implants, can even last a lifetime (provided you strictly adhere to aftercare instructions).
- Quality treatments. As a leading cosmetic dentist with a career spanning four decades, Dr. Sweeney employs only the latest techniques and technology while providing oral care. Each procedure included in your smile makeover will be performed with unmatched surgical skill and innovation.
If you’re still unsure whether a smile makeover is right for you, don’t worry – Dr. Sweeney will be happy to help you decide! Feel free to schedule an initial consultation today.